Below we have outlined as much information as possible about becoming an Unarmed Security Guard or Armed Security Guard in Illinois.
Requirements of Illinois Security Guards / Security Officers:
As mentioned above you need a PERC Card to become an Illinois Security Guard, to apply for your PERC Card please visit the PERC Card application page. There are a number of requirements which you need to meet; they are on the website and below:
- Be at least 18 years of age to apply (for an unarmed security guard – this is different for armed)
- Provide your social security number
- Pay a fee of $55.00 to the Department of Financial and Professional Regulation
- Attach a photo (the instructions are on the website)
- Submit the appropriate security clearance documents
Additionally you will also be required to complete 20 hours of security guard training.
Basic Requirements of Armed Security Guards / Security Officers in Illinois:
Armed security guards in Illinois must be licensed and take additional training including firearm training. There are a number of differences to being an unarmed security guard which we’ve put some information about below:
- Be at least 21 years old
- Be a United States citizen or legal alien
- Have a valid social security number
- Have no felony convictions or any crime involving the illegal use of weapons
- Successfully pass a criminal background check
- Submit Fingerprinting and Passport photo
- Hold a valid Illinois driver’s license
- Successfully complete classroom training, firearms training and written exam – the training is 20 hours of security guard and 20 hours of firearms training. Each qualified candidate must fire 50 rounds from their handgun at an accuracy of at least 70%. For more information, please call 217-785-0800.