In order to become a security guard in the state of Florida, you will first need to obtain your Class “D” Security Guard License. The licensing is overseen by The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Division of Licensing.
However, if you would like to become an armed guard in Florida, you are required to have a Class G security guard license. Additionally, you need to have a certain amount of training including firearms training and once you have met all of these requirements, you will get your license from the State Department of Agriculture.
We have outlined the requirements for armed and unarmed security guards in Florida within this guide.
Requirements of Florida Security Guards / Security Officers:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be a citizen, legal resident of the US or have been granted authority to work within the US by the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
- Completed the required training (outlined below)
Required Unarmed Security Guard Training Experience
Before you can become a security guard / officer in Florida, you need to have completed at least 40 hours of professional training at a Security Officer School or Training Facility that has been licensed by the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. There are two ways you can obtain your training:
- Method 1: Successfully complete 40 hours of training before submitting your application
- Method 2: Successfully completing 24 hours of training before you submit your initial application & then successfully completing the remaining 16 hours of training within 180 days of your application submission to the Division of Licensing
In addition to this you need to make sure that you submit the following with your application:
- Proof of the training
- Passport style photograph
- Fingerprints (must be a legible set) on a fingerprint card provided by the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
- Fees: $45 licensing fee plus $42 fingerprint card processing fee.
If you want more information about how to apply, if you want to apply or if you want to make sure what you need to include within your application, you can get more information from the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services website (here). If you are looking to become an unarmed security guard in Florida just remember that it’s “Class D Security Officer License”.
However, if you are looking to become an armed security guard / officer continue reading our guide below.
Basic Requirements of Armed Security Guards / Security Officers in Florida:
- Be at least 21 years old
- Be a United States Citizen or legal alien
- Hold a valid social security number
- Have no felony convictions or any crime involving the illegal use of weapons
- Successfully pass a criminal background check
- Passport photo
- Pass a drugs test
- Have never been diagnosed with medical illness
- Have no illegal substance or alcohol abuse or use
- Never had a firearms license revoked
- Have a health certificate
- Have Good moral character
- Hold a Florida State Driver’s License
- Have a Class D Security Guard License (see above for details)
Class G License Training Requirements & Fees
In order to become an armed security officer in Florida you need to have a Class G license. To obtain this license you need to have completed 28 hours of training by a Class K instructor.
The training will incorporate both classroom and shooting at a firing range. The training has to be conducted within 12 months prior to your application submission and you will receive a certificate once you complete the course that you must provide of when you apply.
Your application costs $112 and you will also need to pay $42 for fingerprinting as well and if you would like to apply for a Class G License please click here.