To become an armed security guard in Arizona, unlike unarmed Arizona guards you will always require a license. Additionally, you must also be offered an armed security guard / security officer position by a licensed security agency.
Once you have these and have met the requirements outlined below then you can get your license issued by Arizona Department of Public Safety.
Basic Requirements of Armed Security Guards / Security Officers in Arizona:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be an United States citizen or legal alien
- Have no felony convictions or any crime which involves illegal use of weapons
- Must never have been disqualified from owning a firearm
- Must pass a criminal background check
- Must provide fingerprints
- Have a recent front facing color photo
- Have good moral character
- Hold a valid Arizona driver’s license
- Have a firearms/weapons permit from Arizona State
- Provide proof that you have completed 8-hours of a security guard training
Your application must be completed and signed by both the applicant (you) and the employer and this will cost $124 which comprises of the application itself and fingerprinting.
As part of the firearm requirements to become an armed security guard in Arizona you need to:
- Complete 16 hours of firearms training and safety successfully with a certified instructor
- Demonstrate that you can handle your weapon
- Take annual refresher training