In Alabama, Security Guards / Security Officers are classified in different areas – security, security guards, military and youth services security officer.
Whilst each has their own particular requirements, there are some core requirements for non-military armed security guards / officers that must be met which we’ve outlined below.
Basic Requirements of Armed Security Guards / Security Officers in Alabama:
- Be at least 21 years old
- Have a high school diploma, G.E.D or equivalent certificate
- Be an United States citizen or legal alien
- Be physically fit and have good physical conditioning
- Have no felonies or any criminal convictions involving the illegal use of weapons
- Have an Alabama Driver’s License
- Pass a criminal background check including fingerprinting
- Pass drug testing
- Have good moral character
- Have a pistol permit from Alabama State
Weapon Permit and Additional Training
We recommend that you contact your local police department to find out the exact requirements to obtain a pistol permit in Alabama as depending on your city or county these requirements do vary. However, there are a few general requirements which include:
- Successfully completing firearms safety & training by a certified instructor
- Having further background checks
- Taking annual refresher training
For more information please refer to: State of Alabama Security Guard I visit. Additionally if you aren’t looking to become an armed guard just yet, you can refer to our unarmed security guard license requirements in Alabama.