For an unarmed security guard in Arizona, you do not need security guard training before applying. However, should you be offered a role then you may require a license and need to complete an 8 hour pre-assignment course. If you need a license depending on where the job is and what it entails – if you are working for a security guard agency that pays you to provide services to others than you do need a license. However, you do not need one if you are being paid directly by the company to be their own security guard.
There are also further requirements to become an Armed Security Guard in Arizona which we have outlined further below.
Requirements of Alabama Security Guards / Security Officers:
If you require a license (i.e. you are not being paid directly by the company) then you are not allowed to wear security guard uniform until you get a license from the Arizona Department of Public Safety-Licensing Unit.
In order to get your license you need to:
- Be offered a role by a Department of Public Safety Licensed Security Guard Agency. You can find the form here: http://licensing.azdps.gov/Licenseforms.asp
- Complete and sign part B of the application form
- Submit fingerprints for a criminal history check
- Submit a color photo of your face
- Complete the 8 hour pre-assignment training course
- Submit your training verification which has been signed and dated by the agency
In addition to this you need to pay $74 to The Arizona Department of Public Safety – the fee is broken down into two areas – $50 licensing fee and a $24 fingerprint processing fee.
Arizona Security Guard Training Program:
As part of your 8 hour pre-assignment training program you will cover the following:
- Emergency Response Procedures
- Criminal Law & Arrest Laws
- General Security Guard Procedures
- Crime Scene Preservation and First Response
- Use of Force
- Uniform and Grooming
Once your training has been completed, the agency (the one you are working for) needs to complete the security guard training and verification form as mentioned above.
If you are interested in becoming an armed guard in Arizona please carry on reading below as there are different requirements. In order to become an armed security guard in Arizona, unlike unarmed Arizona guards you will always require a license. Additionally, you must also be offered an armed security guard / security officer position by a licensed security agency.
Once you have these and have met the requirements outlined below then you can get your license issued by Arizona Department of Public Safety.
Basic Requirements of Armed Security Guards / Security Officers in Arizona:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be an United States citizen or legal alien
- Have no felony convictions or any crime which involves illegal use of weapons
- Must never have been disqualified from owning a firearm
- Must pass a criminal background check
- Must provide fingerprints
- Have a recent front facing color photo
- Have good moral character
- Hold a valid Arizona driver’s license
- Have a firearms/weapons permit from Arizona State
- Provide proof that you have completed 8-hours of a security guard training
Your application must be completed and signed by both the applicant (you) and the employer and this will cost $124 which comprises of the application itself and fingerprinting.
As part of the firearm requirements to become an armed security guard in Arizona you need to:
- Complete 16 hours of firearms training and safety successfully with a certified instructor
- Demonstrate that you can handle your weapon
- Take annual refresher training